Prologue


I've lived in New York City for a little over seven years now. On weekends, or early weekday mornings, I bike out of the City over the George Washington Bridge with other area cyclists heading north towards towns like Piermont and Nyack to take in the relative calm and solitude of the Hudson River Valley for a few hours. However, one summer ten years ago, I had the incredible fortune of spending it with a good friend, on a bicycle, usually in the middle of nowhere, plotting and plodding our way across America.

I kept a daily journal of our trip and have compiled an abridged version of those tales here with a few recollections looking back now on something that no sooner had it finished did it feel like a dream. Thanks to David for being my riding partner on this seven-week adventure.

(Left Photo: Tim, Doug and David at the Bon Voyage party in Cincinnati. Right Photo: David sorting our fifty pounds of gear.)